Tuesday 10 July 2012

Modesty

Maybe it is been British but it feels a little embarrassing to pat myself on the back sometimes and blog about this but I have just been published in a British quilting magazine, the sort of magazine that you can actually go into WHSmith and buy.  My granny will be thrilled.  And that is Julianna's quilt and pattern you can see on the cover!

photo

Modern Quilting has had a chequered history recently, you can read about that here so I was surprised that this issue did actually get published.  There have been a lot of ins and outs with this company and I am familiar to their ups and downs in the early days of Sew-Hip magazine so I went into an invitation for an interview and to write a pattern with my eyes wide open and to be honest, just hoping for a bit of publicity for Sew-Ichigo.  All the people I dealt with, both in this issue and previously have been courteous and straightforward and I am guessing many lost their jobs between issue 2 and 3 as ownership altered.  The new editor Jenn has been working flat out and this must have been a difficult issue to deliver but she did it and I am delighted with the interview and photos.

photo

Seeing my name in large letters across the page was a slightly surreal moment- I had Lula and Damian with me at the time and I was carrying the bag you can see on the right in the magazine.  

Modern Quilting
I sent a few pics to show Penny, she congratulated me on my wise words on 'narrative quilting'- don't remember that I thought, and besides I am not really sure what narrative quilting is.  Turns out that a little of the previous feature must have migrated to the start of my interview!  I guess that reflects that hard time all at Modern Quilting has picking up a set of articles from the previous team and having to start afresh.  It is a great issue, lots to read and make- quilts,  English paper piecing, Joel Dewberry interview and of course Narrative Quilts.  My table runner pattern is in next months issue, so another bashful post is to come.  So I will quietly blow my trumpet and run away a little embarrassed by it all!
sib blog

46 comments:

  1. It's wonderful Kerry and no running allowed! Go bask in the fame, you deserve it xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Kerry!! You should be blowing your trumpet OUT LOUD (lol) for your wonderful work and incomparable talent!! Although as a Japanese girl, I totally understand what you mean ;) I hope I can find this magazine here in southern California!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so awesome (I know you love that word) Kerry! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kerry, I am so happy for you, congratulations! I've only been following you for a few months, but I can see the great talent you have. You are so sweet to be embarrassed...but SHOUT IT FROM THE ROOFTOPS...an awesome achievement!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wooop Kerry that is so cool, and very well deserved congratulations!! I will definitely stop by WHSmith and pick up a copy next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hurrah - well done, will have to show Leah that you, Kerry are in a magazine! She will be impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! And well-deserved! Shout it from the rooftops - what a fun accomplishment to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course you should let us know what is going on with you. The good things like this are few and far between in life and must be celebrated. I'm super proud of you. what a great article. Nicely done. You inspire so many.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Standing up clapping for you with a little woohoo! No need to be embarrassed - be modestly proud!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations, Kerry! I wonder if I'll come across that issue in the US? Sometimes the larger bookstores have international magazines. I will definitely keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations!!! so so exciting =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hurray Kerry! I'm so happy for you and your unique work deserves to be seen in a magazine! How beautiful page! For me this yellow coffee pot is so perfect! It's exactly the same like the famous Finnish vintage pot (my mom had red and yellow) and you have planned those flowers so well on it! I'm sure everyone is now waiting the next issue with your pattern! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations - it looks like a wonderful article!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay, well done you! Hopefully this will be the beginning of better things for poor old Modern Quilting. And it's great bit of exposure for Sew Ichigo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! The article looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think a pat on the back is definitely required here. Publication is not a simple thing - we take it for granted because we hit 'publish' for blog posts on a regular basis but print really does deserve a trumpet blow. So make it loud and not a tiny raspberry sound. :-) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats! But yes, it's a terribly British thing to want to mention that you've achieved something, but without embarrassing adulation

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations! That's very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are so very talented and creative, and deserve to be featured in a magazine! Your skills amaze me.
    Congratulations!!


    Sue
    legato1958 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kerry,

    Congratulations! I am so excited for you and you deserve to toot your own horn. It is fun to see you and other bloggers get published. Have a fun time celebrating with your family and friends!

    Linda F

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations!! If you won't blow your own horn, we'll have to do it for you. This is fabulous and well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful...you deserve the praise!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations, just started reading your blog and I look forward to your posts when I open up my email in the morning! Keep the trumpet blowing and blog posts coming. I wonder if we get Modern Quilting in Australia?!

    ReplyDelete
  24. congrats! you go, girl! toot your horn whenever you're published ... will the magazine be available over here?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats...enjoy your accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  26. well done Kerry and enjoy the attention as you thoroughly deserve it as you are a huge talent and inspiration to many x

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm now even more annoyed that my subscription copy hasn't arrived....

    ReplyDelete
  28. I got mine in the mail on Monday. Looks great Kerry, Congrats and keep the whole orchestra going....for as long as you like! I see it is in Easons for any of your Irish followers. I was over in the UK last week and every WHSmith I went into I looked for Issue 2 ( I heard on the grapevine that there were a few floating around) Alas I came home empty handed. Lucky, Ryanair probably would have charged me for more luggage!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Really exciting news Kerry ~ to see your name and creations in print must be thrilling!
    Wonder if we can get Modern Quilting in the States?

    ReplyDelete
  30. You are too talented to be modest! You should say about your works loudly and proudly:) If your character is just not like this, just listen your blog visitors and friends and try to change it:)))

    PS. Thanks for mentioning my quilt:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. CONGRATULATIONS!! You deserve it! Your work is just awesome!! I will search this magazine in the web and I will try to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congratulations (& well deserved) Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congratulations! It's great to see familiar names in the magazine and I really hope the mag continues as the projects in it are great. I bought my copy today!

    ReplyDelete
  34. That fame came just to right address, Kerry, congratulations! So well-deserved. And call me old-fashioned, but to be published in a REAL magazine is just something else.

    Many warm wishes from (surprise: rainy!) Finland!

    Yours,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  35. Outstanding! What a feeling huh?! How very exciting for you, congrats on your well deserved nod.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congratulations and well deserved. You can toot your own horn any time. I'm happy for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.