Friday 23 January 2015

January at Plush Addict

Time for my January visit to Plush Addict and I have a few project suggestions in amongst my fabric picks for this month.  I love the breadth of what the Plush Addict virtual fabric shelves offer from Cuddlesoft plush through to silk and a lot more between.  For those new to 'plush' fabric- it is a short pile soft fluffy fabric which can be used for blankets, clothes, toys and more.  Also known as 'cuddle' (formerly known as minky) and dominated by the 'Shannon' range of plush fabrics with a few other brands mixed in too, Plush Addict stock almost 400 plush fabrics!  My top picks are:


 This fabric has an extra deep pile, I think it would make a lovely pet bed
I really like the classic dimple plush fabrics too.  


And this is Kiwi

Sewing with Plush is different to quilting cottons.  Plush tends to be 100polyester, doesn't need pressing and doesn't unravel.  It can stretch and as it is thicker and can slip so it needs different handling.  Read Kellie's fabric guide to plush here.  She also recommends Clover Wonder Clips rather than pins and size 90 ballpoint needle (back in stock soon).

New quilting cottons in store include Jeanean Morrison's new collection for Free Spirit, Star Landing.  This print caught my eye:


There are louder prints in the collection but this simple cross hatch is one I would use a lot and it would work very well as strips- sashing, a border or binding. 

Arrows seem to be a lasting motif in the last few years, 


I can imagine this a beautiful simple baby blanket, this print on one side and plain plush in gold or peacock on the other


with bound edges and rounded corners.  It would make a lovely understated new baby gift and be a quick make!  This Windham Follie print, Grey Hopp, would make a wonderful binding print cut on the bias:


The same  basic baby blanket idea would work with this Paddington Print on one side, 


and this floral plush as the backing:


With this Anna Maria Horner print cut on the diagonal for binding:



I noticed this geometric print from Camelot Fabrics which I liked for colours and simplicity:



And this large scale Robert Kaufman floral print grabbed my attention and reminded me a little of the Orla Kierly Hyrdranger print from a few years back:


It would make an amazing lampshade!   Find a lampshade kit here.  A long ¼ yd or metre will be enough for this side lampshade. There are other prints in the Mod tex range
This has to be the perfect fabric for the math's obsessed geeks and Big Bang Theory fans in your life- that could include yourself of course!  I love the computerised font.




I'll finish today with a crisp graphic toy kit, 

It makes one large (38cm) fox and two smaller (16cm) foxes, each with a slightly different facial expression.  

 Enjoy!  Happy Weekend x
sib blog


2 comments:

  1. A great selection Kerry. I've been thinking of trying out some plush fabric to make a blanket for our little pooch, and that science fabric is fabulous too! Rx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made some monogrammed pillowcases from the Science Fair fabric for my son who is majoring in chemical engineering. That fabric line is great and he loved the pillowcases for his dorm room!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.