Tuesday 31 January 2012

Gone Paper Piecing

Amy and I tested each others patterns in preparation for their publication in Fat Quarterly Issue 8 Paper Piecing Issue (available today!).  I smiled so much when I saw her wonderful vintage skate design.  I loved the shaping and I knew just what I was going to make with it. 
This was my friend Kathy's Christmas present.  Kathy grew up in Michigan and skating on the lakes was a regular winter pursuit.  Now this hoop hangs on on a little gallery that I have got going on in there kitchen along with the man mat and a mini teeny tiny pieced mug rug quilt.  What you can't see is the pretty dusky pink Sevenberry flower print on the back- Kathy is not one for flowers but I got some in there, she even confessed to liking it.  And of course she has turned the vintage ribbon round to the back, too fussy for her!  But I know she and the family love it!
I stitched little eyelets from the presets on my machine and threaded a little pearl cotton through for laces.  Amy added cute brads to hers and we both picked the same boot fabric without knowing it!  You can find this pattern plus my teapot block and heaps of other paper pieced blocks and projects in issue 8.  There are 126 jam packed pages!  Not had enough paper piecing?  A new sew a long/ quilt a long is starting, 11 designers (including me) with 11 sewing themed paper pieced blocks combining sewing and words.  I have seen a few previews and am sworn to secrecy but it is seriously good stuff!  Texty fabrics, word play, intrigued? Find out more here and you could be designer for block 12.  Blog posts, giveaways and introductions kick off tomorrow at Joanna's and Julianna's blogs
sib blog

13 comments:

  1. i love your interpretation of amy's skate block! perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Thanks for the links and I'm so getting Issue 8 - paper piecing is on my list of things to try this year!! The e.p.p. is going ok so I'll see how I manage on machine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I finally bit the bullet and purchased this issue of Fat Quarterly - my first one. How fun to pattern test for each other - love both of the skates! And thanks for the tip about the sew/quilt-along. I've already gone over to join the group!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for testing Kerry! I love your version, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool, and glad your friend loved it too. Can't wait to find out more about the texty goodness :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your version of the skating block! I've just had my first attempt at paper piecing and I'm hooked!
    I'm looking forward to finding out more about Sew Out Loud :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the idea of the skate in a hoop, and the Aviary II woodgrain on the boot is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute boot!
    Oh another QAL, I think I have time, if I cute out sleeping completely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely loved this skate when I saw it in Fat Quarterly but the wood grain fabric puts me over the top! Must. Make. Skate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so lovely!! I also fell in love with your teapot, and had to purchase the Fat Quarterly issue 8. You are such a great inspiration!
    ; )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.