Monday 17 September 2012

S is for Sassy

I took the plunge recently and enrolled in a Craftsy class: Sassy Librarian Blouse with Christine Haynes was on offer, I liked the pattern and I was curious to how an online class would work.   I have a lot of clothes making experience but behind the scenes and in the comfort of the back room, I have slip-shod ways and I love to pick up new tips.  I could not believe how much I learnt. 
Sassy
Demure
Thoughtful
I can liken the process to driving.  You may have driven a long time but a little refresher lesson does eveyone good and this is exactly how I found this class.   There are hours of carefully filmed footage.  There are closeups in all the tricky bits and much of the sewing or pressing is in real time.   You can return to a particular section as many times as you wish.  Christine is an excellent and thorough teacher, I felt like I was in the safest pair of hands.  She is also methodical ( I am not) and she really kept me in check.  I was introduced to the delights of a Clover water soluble pencil- my new dressmaking friend- and extra attention was spent to using a seam gauge.  This is a mix and match pattern.  The simplest version is sleeveless, with no collar and no tucks and would be a great project for someone fairly new to dress making.  I was greedy and incorporated every feature: bow, tab, collar, tucks.  
The sizing is generous.  I didn't make a muslin but I did have to unpick my first initial version and move down two sizes.  This was size 0, for UK peeps I am usually a small size 10.  Even at 0 the bust was roomy and on my next one I will stop being a lazy arse and move the dart- pattern adjustments  are my least favourite job.  This is a relatively easy thing to do and the rest of the blouse fits beautifully.  there are 'release pleats' around the waist front and back ( first time I have sewn anything with these) and they add great definition.  The sleeves also fitted perfectly which is not an easy thing to get right with tops.  I cannot recommend this class more highly, Christine encourages you to take your time and it is worth it, i have never sewn clothing quite so neatly!  I think classes like this will be a big part of online sewing, I have already bought more- Angela's Machine Quilting Negative Space class and Meg McElwee's sewing with knits class which includes a zillion jersey basic patterns.  It has been a very happy purchase!  
sib blog

21 comments:

  1. Wowwww. Because of you now I got the blouse...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have been eyeing some classes on craftsy also. i need to take the plunge! love the shirt kerry! you did an amazing job! looks like you bought it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely...good to know the class was worthwhile. I have been eyeing some but haven't taken one yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this post. I too have enrolled in this cladd but haven't started yet. I love the way you can buy these classes when they are on special but then start when you are ready!!! Great tip about the sizing. I have been a quilter for many years but am new to clothes sewing so it was good to hear that i should start with the sleeveless version. Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great! I really must get to using the Craftsy classes I've enrolled for o.O

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty blouse that is... Love the fabric and the pattern looks so delicately designed. You look gorgeous, Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You crack me up! Excellent modeling tips too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a gorgeous blouse! And lighting... and expressions too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look at you working the sassy librarian blouse!! Looks great Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving the blouse. Maybe I should be looking for online classes to help me get over my dress making fear!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely! These classes sound great :-) I'd love to make some clothes, but I'm a bit scared, sounds like a class would be very useful, especially if I get results like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a beautiful blouse and suits you perfectly - the classes sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I signed up for this class months ago but never got around to sewing anything. Hopefully this post will motivate me a bit.

    I love the fabric you used. Do you know who makes it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could tell you! It is lawn, just like Liberty the same wider width but I picked it up at a market for a song! I have seen it, I think Fabric Rehab had it at one time, but I couldn't find anything now

      Delete
  14. You could be on the cover of Vogue.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous on you...so much detail...loved with denim!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really love this blouse, it looks so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your clothing never looks handmade! This is especially like a blouse at a boutique!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.